Friday, March 25, 2016

Bam! Bam! Bam! Reid Hits THREE Shots!

Wow, this is great! Not only is the March Madness Tournament is in the Sweet Sixteen phase (and, without trying to start a ruckus, I have to say, "Go, Carolina!") but the March Madness of Reading Contest is also shifting into high gear! We have not just one, not just two, but three reviews from our friend Reid, who has sent us reviews in the past. And it looks like we may have the beginning of a rivalry! But first, let's hear about what Reid has read and liked:

How To Get Fabulously Rich by Thomas Rockwell is about a kid named Billy who played the lottery and lost but decided to try again. On the second time he tried, he won. After he won he had to split some money to other people. He realizes that winning the lottery is not something that is necessary. He is sad because he lost a lot of friends in the experience. His dad has to get into a lot of no fun work with the law. He feels stressed out and does nothing with the money he gets. I like this book because it teaches me that having friends is more important than anything else. I think you should read it too!!!





The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan is about a kid named Percy and has to learn things way too big for his age. Also he has to do something virtually impossible. He has to return an object he does not know the location of to a god about 4 million miles away in ten hours. If he doesn't, war will start and he will be killed instantly.

I like this book because the characters took things that were bad about themselves and used them for good reasons. Also the book kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time!

Percy and his friends are scared but can they do it? Read the book to find out their destiny.


The One And Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate is about a gorilla named Ivan who is stuck in a mall with a lot of people standing and staring at him. He feels frustrated that he can only sit in his domain. He made other animal friends in next door domains. He likes to make art and watch his keepers children play and do their homework. He does a lot of things like watch T.V, draw, swing in his tire swing, and make faces. He hates being in the mall because there are no other gorillas. After a couple years Ivan is transported to the zoo where he hangs out with other gorillas. There he learns that something great can come out of something bad. He loves his new home and wants to stay there. I like this book because it teaches me to wait when bad things happen and good things will come.

Thanks, Reid! These sound truly great. I know The Lightning Thief is--in fact, it's one of my all-time favorites. Lots and lots of other guys like it too. I haven't read the other two but I know that Thomas Rockwell is a terrific author because his book How to Eat Fried Worms is another of my all-time favorites. The One and Only Ivan won the Newbery Award, which is like the Oscar for best kid book, back in 2013. You've made me want to go and read it now.

OK, guys, here are the standings:
REID--3 points
GRAM--2 points

Hey, things are heating up!! This could be the start of an epic rivalry like Duke and Carolina. Who will be the winner?  Reid is ahead but only by one point. Will Gram come from behind and pass him? Will Reid hang onto his lead? OR---will someone come out of nowhere (like Middle Tennesse State did) and upset them both??? It could happen. Send in those reviews, boys! Now, I know that next week is spring break but you can still send them in. And remember that you have until April 5 to send them in. Next week will be a busy time for me, so if I don't post reviews right away--or even for a few days--don't worry. I'll post them as soon as I can. But keep those reviews coming and keep the excitement building. Will the final winner be Reid or Gram? Or someone else entirely?  Anything can happen in the MARCH MADNESS OF READING CONTEST!!


No comments: